Free White Cane Program
The white cane gives blind people the ability to achieve a full and independent life, allowing us to travel freely and safely. We started our free white cane program because we believe that no blind person should be without a white cane, regardless of his or her ability to pay for it.
To request a white cane, you can fill out our online application or mail a completed application to our office.
- Free White Cane Online Application
- Free White Cane Application (PDF); please mail the completed PDF application to Free White Cane Program, National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, Maryland 21230
Requests can be made as often as every six months.
More about the White Cane
- Sizes: the canes distributed through our free white cane program are straight fiberglass canes (i.e., not folding or telescoping). All canes are white with a loop on top of the handle and come with a cane tip. For adult first-time cane users, we recommend measuring from your shoulders to the floor. The cane needs to reach about two steps in front of where you are stepping. The speed of your pace and length of your stride will make a difference. More experienced cane travelers may wish to have a longer cane, measuring at least chin height. For children, teens, and young adults who are first-time cane users, we recommend measuring from your chin to the floor. More experienced cane travelers may wish to have a longer cane, measuring at least nose height.
- Training: we are committed to ensuring that every blind person can acquire the training he or she needs to use the white cane, we are proudly affiliated with top-notch model training centers.
- For more information on cane travel and techniques, we invite you to read, "Care and Feeding of the Long White Cane: Instructions in Cane Travel for Blind People."